Too Few Anglers – Too Many Fish

This is a forum for discussing fishing (all kinds of fishing - flies, lures, bait, whatever) related topics - tactics, tackle, flies, stories, places to go, etc.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:21 pm
Too Few Anglers – Too Many Fish

Submitted by George Smith on Mon, 04/09/2018 - 17:09

DIFW Fisheries Biologist Tim Obrey of Greenville has written an interesting column about the decrease in anglers causing a large increase in fish, which in turn has decreased the size of fish.

http://www.georgesmithmaine.com/article ... -many-fish
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." - Thomas Jefferson

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:22 pm
We've had years of a vocal minority complaining about how horrible the fishing is in Maine and how bad IFW is doing, via the print media, the internet, and while testifying before the legislature. Now we have less people fishing - cause and effect, or coincidence?

We've had this same vocal minority complaining about greedy people catching and keeping fish they want to catch and release, via the print media, the internet, and while testifying before the legislature. Now we have overpopulated fisheries with stunted growth - cause and effect, or coincidence?

While I'm quite sure this vocal minority means well, are their efforts helping or hurting Maine's fisheries?

(cue the attacks from the usual suspects...)

"As individual fingers we can easily be broken, but together we make a mighty fist." - Sitting Bull

*All posts reflect my personal views, not necessarily those of any organizations with which I am affiliated.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:29 pm
https://www1.maine.gov/wordpress/inside ... e-fishery/

Site Admin
Site Admin
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:39 pm
https://www.facebook.com/george.smith.5 ... 9071292575

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:17 pm
According to Obrey's piece, the same problem happened in Moosehead as is happening in Chesuncook. So, they had a fishing derby. A fishing derby? Problem cured?

Let's say the derby fixed or had a serious enough effect on the problem that they have proposed the same kind of derby for Chesuncook Lake.

I think there's a substantial difference in the fisheries. Last time I was at Moosehead, there are ample access points and anyone interested can drive to the lake to several different places.

How about getting anglers to Chesuncook for a derby. How are they going to get there? Is IFW going to fly them all in? Driving? Advertisers are warning people to never drive there, or attempt to, the road is so bad. It states that fly in or by snowmobile is the highly recommended way to get there.

Some info about this can be found here: [url]http://tomremington.com/2018/04/10/mdifw-says-some-waters-have-too-many-fish/[url]
Tom Remington

Return to Fishing, Terminal Tackle, Fly Tying, and Lure Making